Earlier this week, the executive branch of student government released its October report. The editorial board has taken this opportunity to evaluate the successes and failures of the administration halfway through its term.

Affordability

The Leimenstoll administration advocated for University autonomy on financial aid decisions instead of a potential system-wide cap on financial aid revenue from tuition hikes. Leimenstoll also successfully fought for a more equitable out-of-state undergraduate tuition increase of 6.1 percent. The administration’s financial aid information website, money.unc.edu, should be up by January and will be a welcome student resource.

A

Transparency and Student Representation

Office hours in the Pit, an “open house” with Chancellor Thorp, and University Dialogues have improved student access to the administration and the chancellor. This is especially true of the student advisory committee to the chancellor, a previously amorphous program, which now serves students from various constituencies. But the administration could work to let students know that the Ombuds office now serves students.

A

Chancellor Search Committee

Leimenstoll’s administration has been working hard to ensure the student voice is heard in selecting a new chancellor. A series of meetings organized by the administration has done well to bring together student leaders to craft a vision for the ideal chancellor. But the administration could work on seeking the opinions of students who are less connected to major campus organizations.

A minus

Town-Gown Relations

The Game Day Challenge, along with composting at Mainstreet Lenoir affirmed commitment to sustainability. Student government’s work with the transit tax was admirable — particularly the forum it helped organize. However, the Good Neighbor Initiative’s door-to-door component had poor student turnout. Also, the Fix My Town website is still not live, which Leimenstoll’s platform committed to completing by fall break.

A minus

Special Projects

The administration has demonstrated responsiveness to students, particularly through Fix My Campus, but it could focus on improving accessibility to those who might not otherwise be engaged with student government. Recruiting potential student leaders through narrow channels, such as First Year Focus Council, has the potential to make student leadership an insider affair. This is counter to the administration’s ethos.

B plus

Board of Governors & Board of Trustees

In a time of transition and uncertainty for education in the state, the administration has found footing where it can, attending meetings and establishing relationships with the Board of Trustees and with UNC-system President Thomas Ross. The administration has sought student feedback and encouraged student engagement. While input-seeking is important, input without results is unproductive.

A minus