Georgian ambassador to the US speaks on relations, democratic progress

The Georgian ambassador to the United States believes it is difficult for small countries like his to get international support — except during large crises.

Temuri Yakobashvili spoke about U.S.-Georgian relations, democratic progress in the Republic of Georgia and the country’s conflicts with Russia in a lecture and roundtable with UNC professors Monday night in Wilson Library.

The event was organized by the Richard M. Krasno Distinguished Professorship, the Center for European Studies and the history department. Yakobashvili appeared for free.

Yakobashvili said it is difficult to attract audiences in Washington, D.C., for him to solicit help with the problems Georgia faces.

“In the U.S., you have to talk to 200 different people to accomplish anything small and all of them matter,” he said.

He said diplomacy in Washington is characterized by series of dinners and social events.
“I haven’t eaten so much Caesar salad in my life,” he said.

He added that his visit to UNC provides an opportunity to help more in these efforts than most diplomatic meetings he attends.

Yakobashvili said American and European support was essential in Georgia’s struggles, especially with frequent adversary Russia.

He related the 2008 war between Georgia and Russia to Russia’s communist past.

“The Russian Federation is very much a product of Stalinism,” he said.

Yakobashvili said Georgia has made a lot of progress since 2003’s Rose Revolution by making the country more politically open and democratic.

“We had one of the most corrupted countries in the world,” he said. “Now we have one of the least corrupted.”

In September, Georgian student political leaders visited the University and spoke about a lack of free speech and political action in Georgia.

But Klaus Larres, a professor who participated in the roundtable, said the October election in Georgia represented progress for the country.

“The governing party has lost, and they have given up power,” he said. “That is a success because what usually happens is that the ruling party tries to hang onto power as much as they can.”

“That was not the case in Georgia, and that has to be emphasized and is the sign of a developing democracy.”

Yakobashvili said Georgia’s progress demonstrates that Western aid to small, post-communist countries can be successful.

He said Georgia’s progress was remarkable due to its lack of natural resources, which he contrasted with what he said was Russia’s lack of democracy.

“What the hell is wrong with Russia?” he asked.

Robert Jenkins, director of the Center for Slavic, Eurasian and East European Studies, also participated in the roundtable and commended Georgia for its progress.

“Hopefully, that will be recognized by U.S. policymakers, and there will be increased support for Georgia and its foreign policy goals,” he said.

Larres said Yakobashvili’s remarks were good, but that Yakobashvili could have been more frank about the failings of the former ruling party in Georgia.

“In the end, diplomats have to be a little diplomatic,” he said.

Contact the desk editor at university@dailytarheel.com.