Chapel Hill Town Council member Lee Storrow might soon be able to catch a Chapel Hill Transit bus home from late night Town Council meetings.

In a solid showing, Orange County voters approved 59-41 an half-cent sales tax increase in Tuesday’s general election.

The tax increase, which is expected to generate about $5 million a year, will fund expanded bus services and part of a $1.4 billion light rail system.

Throughout several months of sometimes-heated campaigning, proponents of the tax argued that expanded transit services are a necessary step forward for development — while also touting the plan’s benefits for the environment and UNC students without cars.

Opponents argued that the plan doesn’t fit the county’s population density or transit needs, and that it won’t benefit rural residents of the county equally.

Components of the plan include:

? The addition of 34,650 bus service hours within the first five years

? Improved weekend and night services in Chapel Hill, Carrboro and UNC

? A 17.3 mile light rail running down N.C. Highway 54 connecting UNC Hospitals and East Durham

? A new regional express service connecting Mebane, Hillsborough and Durham

? Creation of a Hillsborough Amtrak station

According to unofficial election results, support for the tax increase was concentrated heavily in Chapel Hill, Carrboro and the heart of Hillsborough.

Rural Orange County voted overwhelmingly against the tax.

UNC students were expected to play a crucial role in the referendum’s passage.

Austin Gilmore, president of UNC Young Democrats, said the organization supported the referendum because it will bring expanded bus services to UNC students — many of whom don’t have cars on campus.

UNC senior Laura Brush said she voted for the referendum after hearing about the transit options it would bring to students.

“I heard the details of the plan and thought of the benefits,” she said.

And Storrow said he wasn’t surprised by the support shown in Tuesday’s vote.

“From my conversations with Chapel Hill people, they believe this is the future,” he said.

Despite the county’s support of the plan, much about Orange County’s transit future remains uncertain.

Though both Orange and Durham Counties have approved the referendum, Wake County commissioners have yet to consider the tax.

Light rail supporters envision it will someday connect Chapel Hill, Durham and Raleigh.

Storrow said he thinks Orange County’s approval will put pressure on Wake County.

The light rail plan also relies on state and federal funding, which has not yet been secured.

Orange County Commissioner Earl McKee, who has opposed the plan, worries that the state won’t provide the necessary funding.

“My concern now is that we keep first and foremost fitting the needs of Orange County,” he said.

Staff writers Danielle Herman, Sam Fletcher and Kathryn Trogdon contributed to reporting.

Contact the desk editor at city@dailytarheel.com.