Student Body Vice President stipend cut likely

The rules and judiciary committee of Student Congress reported favorably on a bill Wednesday that would eliminate the student body vice president’s $200 monthly stipend.

The bill, which passed with a vote of five to three, will be heard by the full Student Congress next week.

It will not affect current Student Body Vice President Rachel Myrick, whose stipend — $2,400 for the year — has been allocated.

Travis Crayton, chairman of the committee and sponsor of the bill, said he believes the money would be put to better use if allocated to student groups.

“I think we have to think critically about how we’re being financially responsible in (Student) Congress,” he said. “This is money that would otherwise go to student groups and fund their programs throughout the year.”

Crayton said there were a number of student groups that applied for funding this year after the Finance Committee ran out of funds.

The bill specifically targets the vice president’s stipend, he said, because the position doesn’t require the person holding office to stay in Chapel Hill during the summer.

Other student government positions that receive stipends include student body president and student body treasurer, both of whom are required to perform their duties throughout the summer.

The student body secretary previously received a stipend of $200 per month, but it was removed in the 2010-11 school year.

Crayton said that other leaders of student organizations must remain in Chapel Hill during the summer to receive funds generated by their group.

Jocelyn Burney, a co-sponsor of the bill, said she doesn’t think cutting the stipend will decrease the quality of student leaders attracted to the position.

“Our interest in stipends comes from a desire to see student fee money benefit as many students as possible,” she said.

A statement released by executive branch officers compared UNC’s stipends to those of its peer institutions.

The student body vice president at N.C. State University receives $4,440 per year, and the Appalachian State University student body vice president receives $3,450.

The statement also said the stipend is only 0.62 percent of Student Congress’ allocations.

Student Body President Will Leimenstoll said he thinks removal of the stipend will undermine the accessibility of the position.

He cited the 43 percent of students who receive need-based financial aid as an example of those who would need the stipend, adding that the vice president typically does not have time to hold a part-time job.

“The stipend is supposed to be in lieu of a job,” he said. “You do not have time to have another job as president or vice president.”

Contact the desk editor at university@dailytarheel.com.