Ye Olde Waffle Shoppe celebrates 40 years

Ye Olde Waffle Shoppe will be celebrating its 40th anniversary tomorrow, with prices going back down to how they were in 1972. The Shoppe displays mugs they will be raffling off in commemoration of their anniversary, shown beside the owner.

Ye Olde Waffle Shoppe will not be taking plastic today.

In honor of its 40th birthday, Ye Olde is looking back to its younger years, before debit and credit cards.

The restaurant will only offer items that were on its original 1972 menu — at the original 1972 prices.

No combos — or M&M, Reese’s Pieces, apple cinnamon or other specialty waffles and pancakes — will be offered.

“They were just trying to get started with the basics,” said General Manager Daisy Maness.

Ye Olde’s birthday falls right next to its father’s: Thursday was the birthday of Jimmy Chris, the original owner and founder of Ye Olde Waffle Shoppe. Chris passed away in March at the age of 71.

“This is his baby,” said Katie Bruton, a server at Ye Olde.

Ye Olde employees remember Chris as a friendly, hard-working man who gave his all to his business and those around him.

“He was a businessman, but he had a great big heart,” said Maness.

Maness said the restaurant put a sketch of Chris on the front of today’s menu in remembrance.

“I miss him a lot,” said Carlos Hernandez, a cook at the shop. “I liked working with him.”

Jose Gonezalez, a dishwasher at the restaurant, said through a translator that Chris treated him as a friend, instead of an employee.

“You could not notice he was the owner,” said Marleny Gonzalez, a server at the restaurant.

Bettie Moore, assistant manager, said the food’s consistent quality is a reflection on Chris.

“We just do what we think he would want us to do,” she said. “I feel like he created a fantastic environment.”

Moore said the staff has gotten on a more personal level with the customers in the four years she has been at the restaurant.

And Bruton agreed.

She said the customers and workers are like an extended family.

“I make it a point every day to learn a new name,” she said.

UNC senior Qubilah Huddleston said Ye Olde has a close-knit ambience with good food and service.

“I think it’s very unique and different,” she said. “I used to eat there every Sunday.”

The restaurant will be open from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday, extending its regular hours of operation by two hours.

Contact the desk editor at city@dailytarheel.com.