5 declare candidacy for student body president

Will Lindsey, junior, History and Political Science double major

Five juniors declared their candidacy for student body president Tuesday — hoping to make clean races a trend after controversy two years ago.

The race for student body president in 2011 saw several Student Code violations, insults and a disciplinary hearing before the UNC Board of Elections.

But last year’s race was virtually free of dispute.

“I’m hoping to not have any violations,” said Kevin Claybren, a women’s studies major. “I would like for (the race) to be clean.”

Christy Lambden, a philosophy and political science double major, said he doesn’t anticipate that there will be violations this year.

“Looking at the other candidates, I think this will be a solid campaign,” Lambden said.
“It seems very amicable.”

Candidates started gathering signatures Tuesday at 9 p.m., and have until Jan. 29 to collect 1,250 signatures, which can be collected in person or online.

Candidates will be able to collect signatures in residence halls starting today from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Students who do not wish to be solicited can print a notice from the Board of Elections’ web page to prevent campaigners from knocking on their door.

“(Signature collecting) is definitely going to be a dual approach,” said Will Lindsey, a history and political science double major. “I’ve got a really strong team behind me, and we are looking forward to it.”

The candidates shared why they are running and explained their platforms Tuesday.

Lambden said he wants to maintain the University’s affordability, accessibility and unity.

“I want to make sure Carolina stays affordable, and making sure Carolina returns to being academically sound and number one in the nation and maintaining safety on campus by reforming the sexual assault policy and Alert Carolina,” he said.

Rob Jones, a sports administration major, said he wants to make a new events calendar and create a meal plan equivalency program for on-campus retailers.

“We want to unite Carolina,” he said. “We want to inform and educate students because there are so many great resources here. Students are not as connected as they could be.”

Hetali Lodaya, a chemistry and public policy double major, said she wants to focus on student organizations and encourage student feedback and ideas.

Lindsey said he also wants to empower student organizations on campus and enrich academic institutions.

“We need to enhance our academic foundations, specifically with academic advising reform and faculty retention,” he said.

Claybren said he wants to change the face of student government and make sure people’s voices are heard.

“People haven’t had their voices heard — people of color, poor people, LGBT individuals,” he said. “There are issues that matter to those communities and communities that are existing on campus that have been ignored or not even heard on platforms.”

All of the candidates said they would have their campaign websites running today.

Contact the desk editor at university@dailytarheel.com.