DiPhi Societies endorse Lambden for student body president

Christy Lambden addresses students at the first Student Body President debate.

Student body presidential candidate Christy Lambden received the first endorsement of the campaign season Wednesday night, hours after the five-person ballot for the Feb. 12 election was finalized.

Lambden, Will Lindsey and Hetali Lodaya were present to state their platforms and answer questions from members of the Dialectic and Philanthropic Societies, as well as from the audience of about 50. Rob Jones and Kevin Claybren did not attend.

The debate touched upon several topics, including the state of the University’s reputation and what should be done to maintain it.

Lambden emphasized the importance of unification in light of the scandals.

“We have to come together and create a united voice, coming through it as a unifying body, tackling it as a unifying body, remembering that we are all Tar Heels and that we are tackling this together every step of the way,” Lambden said.

Lindsey said he would pinpoint alumni outreach as his solution.

“With such a robust community, we just need a little simple publicity,” he said. “I can provide that with the alumni letters.”

Lodaya said her diverse background shaped her vision for what the student body could be next year.

“Dialogue, communication and connection will define every part of what I hope to do next year,” she said.

The candidates were also asked to address Gov. Pat McCrory’s recent comments on the practicality of a liberal arts education.

“Gov. McCrory is flat out wrong,” Lambden said.

Lindsey said that if he is elected, liberal arts will be the first issue addressed, and his advocacy will be unparalleled.

“Liberal arts is the foundation of critical thinking, and critical thinking is the foundation of entrepreneurship,” he said.

Lodaya agreed.

“What we are mandated to do is give students the tools that they can apply to any field, any job — and those tools come from a liberal arts degree,” she said.

Each of the candidates also had a chance to state what reforms they would advocate if they were elected.

Lodaya focused on student organizations, talking about creating a resource for student groups called “student organization services.”

Lambden said he would create a website that would publicize the use of student fees.

Lindsey said he would guarantee a focus on entrepreneurship and innovation.

The debate lacked noticeable tension until DiPhi President Tim Longest posed the final question to Lindsey.

Longest asked Lindsey specifically if he was a registered lobbyist during an internship with N.C. Sen. Phil Berger, R-Guilford.

Lindsey said the question was inappropriate, especially since Longest filed a complaint against Lindsey on Monday.

“My platform never says I’m a lobbyist,” he said.

“I am UNC first, born in North Carolina, love North Carolina, and I’m committed to the state,” Lindsey said.

Contact the desk editor at ?university@dailytarheel.com.