Focus on transit in Sally Greene’s return

Leaving a legacy behind, it was Sally Greene's last Town Council meeting Monday night.

The Chapel Hill Town Council had a full agenda Monday night, discussing everything from transit to development.

The council meeting kicked off with newly appointed Town Council member Sally Greene taking her oath of office, thereby formally filling the vacancy left by former council member Penny Rich.

“I promise to do my best, and I’m ready to get back to work,” said Greene, who originally served on the council from 2003 to 2011.

Greene was appointed to the seat last week in a 7-1 vote.

Mayor Mark Kleinschmidt also presented a resolution to honor Rich, who resigned in December to serve on the Orange County Board of Commissioners.

Kleinschmidt praised Rich’s contributions to Chapel Hill, including her environmental work, her work for the homeless and her push for the ban on cellphone usage in vehicles.

“Chapel Hill is a better place now because of Penny Rich,” he said.

The council also received a presentation about Chapel Hill Transit’s 2013-14 budget from Interim Transit Director Brian Litchfield.

Litchfield said Chapel Hill Transit remains the second largest transit system in North Carolina, offering roughly 6.9 million rides in the 2011-12 fiscal year.

He said transit was identified as a priority in the Chapel Hill 2020 comprehensive planning initiative.

Litchfield said Chapel Hill Transit has been able to maintain a balanced budget with the help of a contribution from the general fund.

He said a recent survey indicated that 91 percent of users rated Chapel Hill Transit service as good or excellent.

The council also agreed to continue public hearings on Feb. 11 about the rezoning and special use permit application for 123 W. Franklin St.

The property, which is home to University Square and Granville Towers, is set to be demolished and constructed into a new shopping center.

The project will replace the existing University Square structure with a combination of office, retail and residential space, along with 1,000 parking spots. Granville Towers will stay where it is.

Town Council member Jim Ward said he wants the council to balance the pros and cons of the application.

The council also heard a report about a Dec. 3 petition to include the Franklin/Rosemary Historic District in the Central West Focus Area.

The Central West Focus Area — but not the district — was identified as a priority in the Chapel Hill 2020 plan as a result of development pressures in the area.

Kleinschmidt said he was concerned about confronting the issue of the historic district this year because he thought it might take resources away from the Chapel Hill 2020 initiative.

“The community identified Chapel Hill 2020 first,” he said. “We can’t do everything at once.”

Contact the desk editor at city@dailytarheel.com.