Pope forum to discuss quality of education

The public is invited to attend an education policy forum and luncheon on Jan. 15.

The forum brings together experts from across the state and the nation to explore innovative ways to improve North Carolina’s teacher quality and education programs.

Hosted by the Raleigh-based John W. Pope Center for Higher Education Policy, the forum will take place at the Hampton Inn in Raleigh from 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.

“Everyone agrees that North Carolina’s teachers should be fully equipped with everything they need to effectively lead their classrooms,” said Pope Center’s George Leef, who will direct the forum.

“Our event will explore some innovative practices and policy changes that, if implemented, could improve teacher quality.”

University of Arkansas Professor Sandra Stotsky, a leading advocate of standards-based reform, will speak on “Why We Need to Raise the Bar for Entry to Education Schools” during the forum luncheon.

Also speaking will be Arthur McKee of the National Council on Teacher Quality, an organization that is conducting a nationwide review of education schools in conjunction with U.S. News and World Report.

Experts from Michigan’s Hillsdale College, Intercollegiate Studies Institute and Oklahoma Council on Business also will make presentations.

General Assembly Representative Hugh Blackwell and Bob Luddy, President of CaptiveAire Systems, will offer opening remarks.

Also speaking will be Andrew Lakis of Teach for America of North Carolina; Professor Martin Kozloff of UNC-Wilmington; Denise Kent, head administrator at Wake Forest’s Franklin Academy, a successful NC charter school; and Dr. Terry Stoops, director of education studies for the John Locke Foundation.

To attend the forum, RSVP online at http://www.cvent.com/d/bcqd5k/4W..
The cost to participate is $20, which includes the continental breakfast and lunch.

Sonia Blumstein
PRoactiveSolutions Inc.