Chapel Hill Public Library to reopen in April

The new Chapel Hill Public Library will open in April, but due to budget problems it may not initially operate at full capacity.

While the new Chapel Hill Public Library is set to open in April, emerging budget problems might keep it from operating at full capacity.

Due to a lack of funding, town officials said they are worried they might not be able to hire new staff for the library’s expanded facility — which will add 35,500 square feet to the library’s original space of 27,000 square feet.

Originally, the town allocated money to hire additional staff for the library but later realized the projected annual budget wasn’t sustainable, said Interim Library Director Mark Bayles.

Town Councilman Lee Storrow said these budget constraints were expected when the town began the $16.23 million expansion project.

To address the concerns, Storrow said the town is considering offering less frequent programming, restricting entrances and limiting hours.

“No option is off the table at this point,” Storrow said. “It could take several months or even up to a year to reach full capacity.”

In an email on Jan. 8, Town Manager Roger Stancil told the council that while the library project is 89 percent complete, it remains 13 days behind schedule.

Bayles said the ideal budget given the funding problems would be $2.9 million per year, with $2.1 million coming directly from the town.

He said he hopes the council will approve that budget.

Storrow said the council plans to allocate more money to library funding, but it will still not be enough to allow the library to open with full programming and a complete staff.

If the final budget allows for new staff, the selection process will begin in February.

While Bayles said no staff members will be fired, it is unlikely that the budget will allow for new staff to be hired.

And any openings are expected to have steep competition.

One position opened at the library earlier this month, and 257 applications for the spot were submitted in one week.

Bayles is now working with Stancil to address the library budget.

“We are still determining what level of funding the town can sustain over the course of the next couple years,” Bayles said.

Specifically, he is working with the council to figure out how many hours of operation the town can support with a sustainable funding level.

“We are trying to move forward as quickly as possible,” Bayles said. “It is all just a process right now.”

Clancy & Theys Construction Company has been responsible for the library’s construction.

“Every public project has budget issues to overcome because the people spending the money are responsible to the taxpayers,” said Scott Cutler, the company’s vice president.

Due to the current economic recession, Storrow said the Chapel Hill community has been more understanding of the library’s budget challenges.

“We are happy to have met our project goals and are proud of the building,” Cutler said.

Contact the desk editor at city@dailytarheel.com.