Sally Greene to reprise Town Council role

Leaving a legacy behind, it was Sally Greene's last Town Council meeting Monday night.

Former Chapel Hill Town Council member Sally Greene was appointed Wednesday night to once again serve on the council.

In a 7-1 private vote, Greene beat out the 10 other candidates for the council seat vacated in December by Penny Rich, who left to join the Orange County Board of Commissioners. The other vote went to Amy Ryan, a longtime town resident and Planning Board member.

“I’m grateful that the council chose me,” Greene said. “I’m excited to be returning to the work of serving the town.”

Greene served on the Town Council from 2003 to 2011. While serving her two consecutive terms, Greene helped pass the town’s inclusionary zoning ordinance, protecting affordable housing, in June 2010 — one of her main accomplishments.

Greene left the council after her term expired in 2011 to work at the UNC Center for the Study of the American South.

“I felt like I couldn’t do the council work justice,” she said.

But in December — just as Rich was leaving the council — Greene’s position with the University changed, giving her time to fully serve the town and the council again.

Greene stepped down from her position as associate director at the center and into a part-time teaching position with the Department of English and Comparative Literature.

Greene said she hopes to be of service to the council in filling Rich’s position.

Council members expressed support for Greene throughout the appointment process because of her experience.

“In my opinion, she is the most qualified and has the most experience,” said Town Council member Laurin Easthom. “And that is what the council needs at this time.”

Greene will take her seat on the council on Monday.

Easthom also announced at Wednesday’s meeting that she will not be running for re-election in November.

In the last nine months of her term, Easthom will be working on a technology master plan.

“There will be a time for the community to entertain new voices,” she said. “I do believe in fresh voices.”

Five town council seats — including Greene and Mayor Mark Kleinschmidt’s seats — will be up for re-election in November.

“The people of this community have some extraordinary people to select as council,” Kleinschmidt said.

People interested in running for a seat on the council will be able to file for election within in the next six months.

Contact the desk editor at city@dailytarheel.com.