Greek Sustainable Council making strides

Last fall, The Daily Tar Heel’s editorial board wrote that Greeks, as an entire subset of UNC students, don’t recycle.

This board mentioned the Greek Sustainability Council, but did not acknowledge its accomplishments/goals regarding sustainable living in the Greek community.

The reporter claimed Greeks don’t recycle evidenced by cans littering some fraternities’ lawns.

Although cans may sit around for longer than some homeowners would tolerate, this does not mean they are thrown in the trash.

Recently, Pi Kappa Phi began recycling Solo cups, through a company called TerraCycle.

It’s impossible to make an entire organization recycle.

Morrison is the “greenest” dorm, yet not every resident brings scraps to the compost.

While many Greeks recycle, some don’t.

The council can provide the tools and knowledge but cannot change behavior.

The editorial board suggested recycling contests between houses.

However, this would incentivize the production of waste, which is not the council’s goal.

The council aims to reduce waste from Greek houses, and educate Greeks in green practices.

Many houses use green utensils, to-go boxes and compostable items.

Further, many of Greek events are Green Certified Events.

Every member of the council is certified to plan/host Green Certified Events.

In 2011, the council raised the funds to buy recycling bins for every Greek house.

Under the guidance of council president Chelsea Woodfin, Alpha Chi Omega began composting food scraps.

The council is organizing a compost between Alpha Chi Omega, Kappa Delta and several other houses, and is working with the Interfraternity Council and the Panhellenic Council to mandate that each house has a “green chair.”

Alison Puzia ’14
Journalism & Mass Communication Communication Studies