Talk about patriarchy with anarchy group

Tuesday’s DTH editorial “Anarchy alarm” is right to describe the vandalism against Chi Psi as nothing more than a violent reaction: There’s no group claiming it, least of all us anarchists in UNControllables.

Therefore, condemning it really misses the point.

Readers would be better served by trying to understand what would drive people to lash out against symbols of patriarchy.

Many of us are all too familiar with how it feels to be constantly harassed walking down the streets of Chapel Hill.

A broken window is a modest act of vengeance compared to the daily reality of catcalling, homophobia and sexual assault perpetrated by college men in Chapel Hill.

Whether certain incidents can be linked to specific fraternities is not the issue.

The anonymous War on Society (a news blog, not a group) communique referenced in “Anarchy alarm” is a generalization against fraternities, because patriarchy is generalized.

Patriarchy is pervasive yet invisible. Violence done by privileged men against those with less privilege nearly always goes unnoticed.

When that violence is returned upwards, it is hypocritically treated with shock and horror.

For the past year the DTH has been exposing UNC’s complicity in a culture of sexual violence.

It should be no surprise that some people chose not to wait for courts, police and University investigations to fight back for them.

To actually engage with some real, live anarchists rather than anonymous internet comments, come visit the UNControllables table in the pit Thursday from 12:30 p.m. to 2 p.m.

James Hoopes ’15
Latin American studies