Transit workers bring the story of Rosa Parks to life

Cast of "Why Should I Move?" a tribute to Rosa Parks performed by members of the Chapel Hill Transit waits off stage before the performance.  Sheila Neville, Young Rosa, gets arrested by Jim Harder who played the police officer.
Cast of "Why Should I Move?" a tribute to Rosa Parks performed by members of the Chapel Hill Transit waits off stage before the performance. Sheila Neville, Young Rosa, gets arrested by Jim Harder who played the police officer.

Chapel Hill Transit employees brought historical civil rights struggles to life Saturday, portraying Rosa Parks’ legendary refusal to give up her seat on a bus to a white man in 1955.

About 15 transit employees celebrated Black History Month by performing a one-act play about the unofficial beginning of the civil rights movement.

The play — “Why Should I Move?” — chronicled Rosa Parks’ refusal and her subsequent arrest.

Friends, family and fellow transit employees gathered Saturday morning in University Mall to watch the second annual re-enactment, which included narration from an older Rosa Parks character and a cappella singing.

Interim Transit Director Brian Litchfield said last year’s production, which commemorated Martin Luther King Jr. Day, was such a success that Chapel Hill Transit wanted to recreate it.

“We felt that it was an important enough event and an important enough message that we’d like to share it with the community,” Litchfield said.

“Obviously we have a connection with Ms. Parks and what she did and making sure that public transportation was available to everyone regardless of their race.”

Many of the thespians said they had little to no acting experience prior to their performance on Saturday.

Jennie Stokes, who played an African-American passenger on the bus, said it was her first time performing in a play like this, and she enjoyed it.

“It was a great experience,” Stokes said.

Playgoer Ashley Reed, a UNC graduate student, said the event was a success.

“I was so glad there was so much singing,” Reed said. “I thought it was going to be only spoken, but the singing was great.”

Chapel Hill resident Julie McClintock, who attended Saturday’s performance, said the play helps to raise community awareness of ongoing civil rights issues.

“Just the fact that the town employees got approval for doing something like this speaks volumes for our community,” McClintock said.

Transit employee James Harler, who played Parks’ arresting officer, said he still believes there is much to be done for civil rights.

“There are always going to be people that disagree,” Harler said. “We can continue to learn.”

Harler also said the event was an effective way of reminding the community about the importance of the civil rights movement.

“It brings history to life,” he said.

“When you see it, you get the feeling.”

Contact the desk editor at city@dailytarheel.com.