Viewpoint: Living off campus provides privacy, independence

See Sierra Wingate-Bey’s alternate viewpoint advocating for living on campus.

Do you value independence? How about more privacy, flexibility and a greater sense of responsibility? Then living off campus is for you.

We all value independence. By venturing off campus, we can finally experience adult life. Tired of being watched by the RA on your hall or following the RHA’s rules and regulations? Moving off campus will give you freedom from these rules and allow you to set your own.

Wish you had more alone time and could get away from that crazy roommate or avoid those annoying dudes down the hall that blare their music at 3 a.m.? With off-campus housing you can finally escape these distractions. Privacy comes with moving away from campus. You will have your own bedroom. Need I say more?

Staying off campus, you can even better manage your schedule. The set-up is more suitable for getting to a part-time job or internship.

Are you a pet person? Most off-campus options are also pet-friendly, unlike on-campus dorms. And if you plan on sticking around for the summer or during breaks, you don’t have to worry about your apartment or house closing down.

Last but perhaps most important, living off campus helps us grow up and mature. By living off campus, you will take on more responsibility. It will expose you to the dynamics of the real world where there are no RA’s or meal plans—just landlords and grocery shopping.

Empower yourself. Leaving the cradle of on-campus living might just be your best decision yet.