YMCA to remove racquetball courts in renovation

Despite opposition from racquetball enthusiasts, the Chapel Hill-Carrboro YMCA is moving forward with plans to remove Chapel Hill’s only public racquetball courts.

Dabney Grinnan, chairwoman of the Chapel Hill-Carrboro YMCA Board of Directors, said the change is part of a two-year process to improve the layout and functioning of the YMCA.

“We are really excited about improving our fitness facility,” she said.

Greg Lee, senior membership and marketing director of the YMCA, said the renovations are an opportunity to offer more of what members are asking for.

Once the racquetball courts are removed, the YMCA will add 200 square feet of wellness equipment in their place.

Lee said the YMCA is working to nail down a timeline and decide what the new space will offer to members.

“We don’t have specifics on everything this space will include,” he said.

But Robert Epting, a local attorney and frequent racquetball player at the YMCA, said he has sentimental ties to the courts, and he doesn’t see the change as an improvement.

“It’s just foolish,” he said.

Epting said between 75 and 125 people regularly use the racquetball courts.

He donated money to construct the YMCA and was one of the original users of the courts in the early 1980s.

He said the court removal is taking away from the community — a community that built and takes pride in the courts.

Grinnan said the courts are not exclusive to racquetball and are often repurposed for other sports and activities.

“The racquetball group is a fairly small group compared to the majority of people that we serve,” she said.

Grinnan said a poll of YMCA members revealed that they would prefer more wellness equipment, and removing the courts is the right decision.

A renovated fitness floor will decrease crowds during peak hours and improve the lackluster layout, she said, adding that the renovations will improve patrons’ ability to exercise.

“That’s a win-win for everybody,” Grinnan said.

Lee said he understands the frustrations of court users and said removing the courts was not an easy decision for the YMCA board and staff.

Despite frustration from frequent racquetball players, Lee said, the YMCA is not reconsidering its plans for renovation.

Lee said construction will likely begin in late spring or early summer and be completed in the fall.

Epting, however, said he isn’t going anywhere.

“We’re planning on playing right here. We’re planning on this board changing their minds.”

Contact the desk editor at city@dailytarheel.com.