County considers privatizing recycling

A proposal to privatize curbside recycling services drew criticism from Orange County residents and leaders during a Board of Orange County Commissioners meeting Thursday night.

The board heard initial forms of community feedback on the privatization proposal at its meeting.

County staff presented a proposal to move toward an agreement that would consolidate curbside recycling services under one franchise in unincorporated areas.

Michael Talbert, assistant county manager for operations, said moving toward one provider would stabilize rates for all residents of the unincorporated areas, but he stressed that the decision would take time.

“We want to make it clear that no decision will be made tonight,” he said. “This is a process that is projected to take around eight months.”

But the proposal drew concern from some residents, who fear a franchise would harm Orange County’s recycling system, which currently relies on several private haulers.

Hillsborough resident Jessica Bollinger said the move toward a single franchise would displace her company, Efland Trash Service.

Currently, unincorporated residents pay curbside recycling fees to have access to the county’s recycling services. With privatization, they would pay a standardized fee.

“Citizens would pay more, and it would be a disincentive for recycling,” said Jan Sassaman, the chairman of the Solid Waste Advisory Board.

According to county documents, the privatization proposal would not create any financial impact for the county budget.

Chapel Hill Town Council member Jim Ward said the current system has made Orange County home to one of the best recycling systems in the state.

“Why would you now begin to dismantle this outstanding effort?” Ward asked.

Commissioner Renee Price expressed similar concern and asked staff to look for other ways to stabilize rates.

“I feel very uneasy about this,” she said. “I think we need to explore other alternatives.”

Commissioner Alice Gordon said recycling has to remain a top priority for the county as it moves forward.

“We have to preserve our advantage in recycling,” she said.

Commissioners scheduled a public hearing to further discuss the privatization proposal on April 23.

Contact the desk editor at city@dailytarheel.com.