The Daily Tar Heel brought home nine awards from Thursday night’s 2013 N.C Press Association’s Winter Institute awards ceremony.

The DTH was the only student newspaper to win awards. The judging period spanned the leadership of 2011-12 editor-in-chief Steven Norton and current editor Andy Thomason.

Daniel Wiser, Isabella Cochrane, Memet Walker and Nicole Comparato won third place in the Duke University/Green-Rossiter Award for Distinguished Newspaper Work in Higher Education.

The paper also won second place in general excellence for newspaper websites for daily papers with a circulation of 12,500-34,999. Daniel Pshock is the online editor.

Of the first place awards in the same circulation range, Meg Wrather won for graphics and Stephen Mitchell won for sports feature photo.

Nicole Comparato, Chelsey Dulaney and Katie Quine won second place for deadline news reporting.

The Daily Tar Heel summer staff won first place for its mail-home special section for new students.

Multiple staff members won second place for multimedia project, the paper won third place for editorial page under former opinion editor and 2012 graduate C. Ryan Barber, as well as third place for appearance and design.