Donate platelets at UNC Hospitals center

One of the things that makes UNC great is its students’ commitment to the service of others.

This passion is demonstrated in a number of ways every day on campus, including volunteering and advocacy.

One way that many of our students are giving back to the community is by donating platelets at the UNC Hospitals Blood Donation Center.

For those of you who aren’t familiar with platelets, they are a component of your blood that helps in clotting and healing of damaged tissue.

People with cancer such as leukemia often do not make enough platelets and have a high risk of bleeding and therefore rely on platelet transfusions for their survival and health.

Other patients that routinely receive platelets are burn and trauma victims and people with bleeding disorders.

Because platelets are so important for patients such as the ones described above, donations are essential.

After being donated, platelets only last five days, so there is a constant need for more donations. This is especially true during the summer months, when there aren’t as many students on campus.

Students make up about 60 percent of the total number of platelet donors seen at the Blood Donation Center. Students’ commitment to others is important for the patients!

As is evident, platelet donation saves lives, and it is as easy as sitting in a chair for two hours as you watch a movie and snack!

We encourage anyone who is interested to call the Blood Donation Center at 919-966-2370 or come see the group of people wearing the neon orange shirts in the Pit today from 11 a.m. to noon to find out more information and possibly get a free shirt!

Come talk to us and learn more about how you can help save a life! If you are interested in scheduling an appointment to donate, please visit unchplateletdonation.genbook.com.

This was written on behalf of Kelly Hogan’s BIOL 294 service learning class.

Sheena Cooper ’14
Biology

Kyndal Rouse ’14
Communication studies