IT proves successful ?eld for NC residents

Matthew Mauzey, manager of the ITS control center.

When Priscilla Alden first started working in North Carolina’s information technology sector more than 20 years ago, personal computers were exciting, new and rarely used.

As the years went by, Alden saw the information technology world transition from word-processing PCs to high-speed, hand-held devices. And now, as the University’s assistant vice chancellor for user support and engagement, Alden has seen how the new advances in technology affect higher education.

“(In) higher education, we’re always pushing the envelope a little bit,” she said.

With draws like Research Triangle Park, which is centered around several top research universities, North Carolina’s information technology sector has thrived.

On Thursday, Gov. Pat McCrory announced plans to build an “Innovation Center” in the N.C. Department of Environment and Natural Resources building. The center will be a place to test the latest technology.

Brooks Raiford, president and CEO of the N.C. Technology Association, said job openings have increased in information technology from January to April. More than 100,000 North Carolinians work in technology fields, he said.

“That is a number that has not declined in a way that many other sectors declined during the (economic) downturn,” Raiford said. “It’s a good field to be in — the demand is high and the average wages are two to three times what the average wage overall is in North Carolina.”

Jason Mooneyham, executive director of U.S. sales at Lenovo, said the company moved to North Carolina after acquiring IBM’s personal computer division in 2005 and remained because of the quality of life.

Lenovo employs about 3,000 in the state, he said.

And in addition to hardware companies like Lenovo, the state is also home to software companies like SAS.

“You’ve got a very good cross-section of talents, of companies that intertwine very well together,” he said.

Lenovo works with universities, especially Wake Forest University and UNC, to get feedback on its products.

“There’s a strong higher education presence in the Triangle area — a lot of talent we can recruit from,” he said.

In addition to recruiting students for jobs and internships, Lenovo works with UNC as part of the Carolina Computing Initiative, he said.

Alden said UNC has a special relationship with Lenovo because the company values students’ and administrators’ input.

“We tend to be the canary in the coal mine,” she said.

“We see (something wrong) pretty quickly because we have a big enough population. We’ll help them troubleshoot what the problem is, and they’ll fix it and make it better for the next computer.”

Raiford said technology is always evolving.

“You have to constantly upgrade your skills,” he said.

Mooneyham said for consumers, technology will continue to expand until it touches every aspect of one’s life — with phones, cars and even refrigerators becoming more interactive.

Lenovo’s work with universities helps the company see where technology’s heading, he said.

“Students want information all the time,” he said. “You won’t find any more of a demand than you do on college campuses.”

Contact the desk editor at state@dailytarheel.com.