Public input begins for Carrboro police chief search

Several Carrboro residents and police officers came out Monday night to give input on qualities they would like to see in Carrboro’s new police chief.

About 10 attendees at the public input session discussed goals for the future chief, ranging from a good personality to an understanding of the community’s diversity.

Whoever the town hires will replace outgoing Carrboro Police Chief Carolyn Hutchison, who is stepping down in October after 29 years with the department.

The discussion was led by Steve Straus, president of Developmental Associates LLC — the consulting firm hired by the town to lead the search for the new chief.

Straus said candidates are recruited for the position, and there are currently less than 50 applicants for the job.

Heidi Perry, treasurer for the Carrboro Bicycle Coalition, said Hutchison understands the uniqueness of the Carrboro community.

“I would like to see a (new) police chief who is strong with community,” she said.

Perry also said the department needs someone who is sensitive to different groups of people, particularly Carrboro’s Karen and Latino communities.

Anissa McLendon, a Carrboro resident and former employee of the Carrboro Police Department, said she thinks one of the biggest challenges facing the department is keeping officers interested in staying in a small town instead of leaving for bigger jurisdictions.

McLendon said she hopes the new chief will reduce turnover.

She also said there should be more outreach between the chief and the town.

Straus said the new chief will undergo a series of interviews and screenings before Carrboro Town Manager David Andrews makes a hiring decision.

First, a retired police chief will interview the candidates.

Then nominees will undergo two psychiatric evaluations with separate psychologists.

Each of the three evaluations will be done independently as a part of the preliminary screening process for the position.

Allison Delaney, a Carrboro police officer, said maintaining a good working relationship with Chapel Hill and Orange County is something she would like to see the new chief continue.

Delaney said a closer relationship with these jurisdictions would allow the department to keep the community safer.

She also said she wants a chief who can balance professionalism and personality.

As a police officer, Delaney said, she wants to be respected and trusted to do her job by the new hire.

Contact the desk editor at city@dailytarheel.com.