Carrboro Board of Aldermen approve Shelton Station development

The Carrboro Board of Aldermen approved Tuesday night a development that will bring residential housing and commercial space to the heart of downtown.

The board unanimously approved the conditional use permit for the Shelton Station mixed-use development — which will allow developers to begin construction on the project at 402 N. Greensboro St.

The development— which will contain a four-story multi-family residential building and a two-story commercial building — will cost roughly $15 million. Of the development’s 94 dwellings, 20 percent will now be designated as affordable housing in response to concerns that the project would attract students — and higher rents — to the area.

Aldermen voiced concerns that students might cause property values in the development to rise­ — hurting efforts to maintain affordable housing in Carrboro.

Prior to the approval of the permit, the town’s zoning development specialist, Jeff Kleaveland, said the town will require that affordable housing units only go to low-income families.

The public hearing for the development initially began on March 21, but after several aldermen criticized the project’s construction timeline, the board was forced to postpone the hearing.

And during Tuesday’s meeting, aldermen again asked for more details about the construction process.

Alderman Jacquelyn Gist said she worried construction vehicles will go through residential streets.

“We still need to protect our neighborhoods,” she said.

Ken Reiter, the project’s developer, said the routes for construction vehicles have not yet been finalized and could be adjusted so residential areas would not be disturbed.

Reiter said he wanted to find a way to communicate with neighbors to ensure safety and minimal disturbance.

The board also discussed parking for the development and agreed to further discuss its options so both residents and clients could be satisfied.

Carrboro residents voiced concerns about the sustainability of the project — both during construction and after its opening.

Resident Richard Taylor urged the project manager to include a specific dumpster at the construction site for the recycling of cardboard boxes.

Reiter said his company has looked into food composting options to meet sustainability suggestions. Reiter didn’t provide a formal timeline for starting construction of Shelton Station.

“We’re looking at something that’s probably more than a year in length,” he said. “We just don’t know yet.”

Contact the desk editor at city@dailytarheel.com.