Speak out against anti-whistleblowing bill

Last Thursday, the DTH published an editorial about the absurdity of recently introduced N.C. General Assembly bills. We now have another bill to add to that list.

Senate Bill 648, the deceptively named “N.C. Commerce Protection Act of 2013,” is an “Ag-Gag” bill that would criminalize whistleblowing employees who expose animal cruelty, food safety issues and human rights violations on industrial factory farms.

It would make undercover investigations — like many that have led to important animal welfare reforms and worker safety improvements — essentially impossible.

Aside from jeopardizing animal welfare, food safety and workers’ rights, this bill is also unconstitutional. The First Amendment’s guarantee of freedom of the press guards against this type of silencing legislation.

Instead of trying to prevent human and animal abuses, agribusiness is trying to cover them up. But North Carolina residents have a right to know where our food comes from.

Similar bills have already passed in Iowa and Utah and have been introduced in 10 other states in 2013. North Carolina cannot be next. Please help put a stop to this bill by contacting our elected officials.

Jamie Berger ’13
Food studies