Dr. Keith Amos died unexpectedly while in Scotland

Dr. Keith Amos

Dr. Keith Amos

Dr. Keith Amos, an assistant professor of surgery at UNC, died very unexpectedly in Edinburgh, Scotland, Monday where he was a visiting scholar. Amos was 42.

Tony Meyer, chairman of the surgery department, said Amos developed an acute aortic dissection that caused his sudden death.

Amos was in Scotland on a Dr. Claude Organ, Jr. Travel Award from the American College of Surgeons, which Meyer said was a high honor. He was in the country with his wife and three young daughters, who are currently still there.

Sean McLean, one of Amos’ colleagues, said Amos was positive and dedicated.

“Dr. Amos was a person who first and foremost enjoyed life,” McLean said.

“He was always upbeat and jolly and supportive, but he was also fiercely dedicated to his career as an academic surgeon and a surgical educator.”

McLean said Amos specialized in breast cancer research and was committed to educating communities on breast cancer awareness.

Ben Calvo, chief of the division of surgical oncology, said Amos was beloved by his patients and was a good teacher, researcher and physician.

“Managing all of those three takes a lot of people skills if you’re going to be successful at more than one or two of them,” Calvo said.

McLean said Amos was a model father and surgeon, and was most dedicated to three things in life — his family, his career and the Dallas Cowboys.

“He had a lifelong dedication to the Dallas Cowboys,” McLean said.

“No matter what flaws the Cowboys had, he would never recognize them at all. He always glossed over them.”

Calvo said Amos was also a dedicated friend, adding that two of Amos’ friends from training flew to Scotland when they heard the news of his death.

“That’s difficult to do in the medical world,” Calvo said.

“But obviously Keith’s personality and friendship and ties got people to instantly drop what they were doing to go visit with (his wife and daughters) and try to help.”

McLean said he would remember Amos’ willingness to help friends and colleagues.

“That’s what I’ll remember about him — the fact that he was always there when I needed help,” McLean said.

“I always enjoyed when we were able to take care of difficult patients together and get them through their problems.”

Meyer said there will be commemorative events for Amos in the coming weeks.