Grade distribution reports allow for faculty comparison

The first phase of a plan to provide contextualized grading information for undergraduate classes at UNC was implemented this week — with the release of the first Instructor Grading Patterns reports.

Faculty members will now receive the reports each term in order to compare their grade distributions to the distributions of other faculty members within their department or across the schools.

Results of the reports are visible only to faculty members.

Andrew Perrin, a sociology professor and former chairman of the educational policy committee, which developed the plan, said the reports are the result of concerns over grade inflation and inequality.

“There was a really strong sense that both of those issues — grade inflation and grade inequality — were important and were threatening the validity of grading at UNC,” he said.

“We decided that the best way to approach that is through the process of transparency — what grades mean in their particular context and how different faculty instructors are grading.”

Chris Derickson in the registrar’s office said the ultimate stage of the plan is the implementation of contextualized transcripts, though he said there is no timeline for when that will begin.

Perrin said the contextualized transcripts and the grading patterns reports are both important in understanding UNC’s grading.

“I think that combination is kind of the one-two punch that should really provide some real transparency on the grading here,” he said.

Perrin said administrators will also implement a website with more contextual information than is on the transcript itself, which students can show graduate schools or potential employers.

Perrin also said student government representatives played a big role in developing the reports because they wanted to ensure that faculty grading was fair and accurate.

Derickson said the reports include the mean and median grades of the course as well as a breakdown of the number of each letter grade awarded in classes that have more than five students.

Donna Gilleskie, an economics professor, said the reports will encourage discussion among faculty.

“I think one of the ideas that we’re hoping this will foster is discussion about grading,” she said.

“The idea is to get everyone talking about some of the deeper issues of grade inflation, grade compression and grade inequality, and figure out a way to address it.”

Contact the desk editor at university@dailytarheel.com.