Concealed weapons should not be in bars

I, along with many, have found myself scratching my head in disbelief at some of the new legislation from our state government.

The one law that really has me confused and very concerned is the new law that says concealed weapons are allowed on school campuses (including UNC), playgrounds and, most confusing of all, bars.

If we remember our college days and the early adult days of bar hopping and partying, we all know that alcohol has a way of bending one’s reality and control.

Often drunk individuals lose control of themselves and fights flare up — so to add a loaded gun to this is a huge mistake in my view. The supporters of this seem not to be living in the real world. Are they thinking that this gun-toting individual is a “substitute” police officer who will stop a criminal?

Remember these gun-toting individuals, the majority of the time, lack in training in law enforcement and may misinterpret an event.
This is a huge mistake; this will not solve crime problems.

There is no litmus test for whether the gun permit person is of sane mind (as we have seen in recent history, several perpetrators of mass shootings had legally obtained guns).

It is a recipe for disaster. No one is denying someone the right to own a gun; we are saying they should not be carried in places like bars or at schools except by security and police. In addition, do we who oppose concealed or non-concealed weapon carrying have rights?

Do you think that the public feels at ease when a bunch of people walk into a, for example, coffee shop with their weapons?
No, we don’t. We feel terrified. I think our rights to feel safe and not scared are just as important.

Kathy Morgan
Continuing Education Office
The Friday Center