Wale, Ace Hood to cost CUAB $90,000

Wale and Ace Hood will perform at the Nov. 2 Homecoming concert for a comparatively lower price than last year’s headliner, J. Cole.

The official contract between the Carolina Union Activities Board and Wale and Ace Hood was released Friday to The Daily Tar Heel and states that the performers will be paid $90,000, together, not including ground transportation, hotel accommodations, technical requirements for the performance and onstage hospitality. J. Cole’s contract stated he would be paid $105,000 for the performance.

Both performers requested a number of technical devices for lighting, DJ setup and instruments.

The performers also asked for 24-hour professional ground transportation in the form of two black, tinted-glass large SUV’s, specifically, either an Escalade ESV, Suburban or Yukon XL.

They also required that hotel accommodations be four-star or better. For transportation, the contract calls for eight flights, preferably on Delta Airlines, with one first class ticket and seven coach.

The only hospitality requirements that the University denied were the performers’ requests for five bottles of Moet Rose, four bottles of peach or coconut Ciroc and one bottle of Hennessy, as per a University policy that no student fees or funds of an officially recognized student group be used to purchase alcohol.

Both performers also required the University provide an authentic UNC basketball or football jersey.

Carly Mathews, president of CUAB, said price was less of a factor than it has been in previous years, as a result of the success of last year’s Homecoming concert.

“Every single year, there are a few different factors that we need to take into account. There’s always availability — if the artist is available, especially around the time that we need them; there’s always price range, and there’s always popularity, since Homecoming is the biggest concert of the year,” Mathews said.

CUAB took a number of campus surveys to garner as much student input as possible, and Mathews is confident that those who voiced their opinions were heard this year.

“I think people should be excited because Wale released an album over the summer, so he has a lot of new material, and he also has lyrics that relate to UNC,” she said. “Though we can work to improve the (student input) process, it’s really up to the student body to voice their opinions.”

Mathews said she encourages students to get involved with CUAB because they can have a say in the other artists that are brought to campus throughout the school year.

She said tickets for the 2013 Homecoming Concert will go on sale Oct. 3, and will range from $10 to $20 depending on seating preference.

For the first time CUAB will be offering online ticketing in addition to ticket purchasing at the box office. Mathews said it should operate similar to Ticketmaster, with seats offered on the upper and lower levels, and floor.