Blalock shines in Blue and White scrimmage

Cari Blalock

Cari Blalock

Standing behind the blocks with her back against the wall, North Carolina swimmer Cari Blalock surveyed the pool.

Her team faced a nine-point deficit with two events left in Saturday morning’s Blue and White intrasquad scrimmage. Some swimmers would be overwhelmed in circumstances like this, but for Blalock, an All-American honorable mention and an ACC champion swimmer, this is when she does her best work.

The referee signaled for the 200 individual medley to start. Blalock stood poised on the edge of the block, muscles tensed and quivering, waiting for the green light to signal go.

At the buzzer, she dove into the water and surfaced at the head of the pack. She was in a dogfight with her teammate in lane four, but dug in, gradually widening her lead with each successive lap. She finished the race in first place by a wide margin, setting a new record in the process for the annual scrimmage.

“She’s able to handle competition really well,” coach Rich DeSelm said.“She understands the importance of rising to the occasion when the occasion arises.”

Blalock originally attended Louisiana State University and was named a member of the All-SEC freshman team in 2011, but her strong North Carolina roots pulled her back home. She was born and raised in Wilmington, and both of her grandparents and her great-grandfather attended North Carolina.

“We have a lot of family history here, and I’ve always worn Carolina blue,” Blalock said, “If basketball was on, I would be the only one watching.”

After her freshman year, Blalock transferred to UNC and immediately made a splash. She was named an All-American, and earned ACC Swimmer of the Year in 2012. She also helped UNC finish 12th at the NCAA Women’s Championships.

“(You’re) pretty much speaking superlatives when you’re talking about Cari’s competitiveness, especially at the end of the year,” DeSelm said.

Blalock also holds several individual records at UNC. She has school records in the 200-meter butterfly and the 400-yard and 200-yard individual medleys.

“Cari has really been a terrific team member and a terrific asset to our team,” DeSelm said.

Since a young age, Blalock has had an affinity for the water. Both her and her older sister started out in gymnastics, but when their coach recommended her older sister take up swimming to develop her upper body strength, Blalock dove in right after her.

She started doing summer swim leagues when she was only five years old.

“Her momma used to throw her in the pool, and she’d come up laughing,” said Ann Blalock, Cari’s grandmother. “That’s when we knew she had gills.”

Blalock has no plans at the moment to continue swimming after college. She thinks she will likely hang up the cap and goggles and retire with grace.

“I really would like to end my career on my terms and not make it go further than it was supposed to,” Blalock said.

In the meantime though, Blalock will continue to play an integral part in the UNC women’s swimming team.

“We’re going to enjoy this year with her,” DeSelm said, “because we’re going to miss her next year.”