A memorandum to the owners of the Collins Crossing apartment complex has inflamed an old controversy — and renewed discussion over the complex’s future.

The announcement, sent to members of the Old Well Owners Association, the complex’s homeowners organization, said a new special assessment for each unit in the complex will be voted on at the group’s meeting Tuesday. The amount of the proposed fee, which would be used to pay for improvements around Collins Crossing, has not been disclosed.

The Collins Crossing complex has been the subject of multiple controversies in the past year. A $5,406 assessment fee, approved on Dec. 19, drew protests and concern among some unit owners.

Wendy Dale, who owns a unit at the complex, said while she appreciated the renovations the first assessment paid for, there was very little input on the updates from some unit owners.

“These extra things: putting sliding glass doors on the back of peoples units, it is nice, and I know it adds value to the units” Dale said, “But those are decisions that were made pretty much unilaterally by Alcurt Carrboro LLC.”

Alcurt Carrboro LLC is the company that owns a majority of the units at Collins Crossing. Dale said she feels it has taken over the complex without concern for the other owners.

Alcurt Carrboro LLC did not respond to a call for comment. Aspen Square Management, the company that used to manage the Collins Crossing property, also did not respond to calls for comment.

“The homeowners’ association is simply a vehicle for Alcurt Carrboro to do what they want to do,” Dale said.

Judith Blau, a retired sociology professor at UNC, said she sold the two units she used to own at Collins Crossing after the first fee was levied.

“I was still an owner when there was a $5,000 assessment fee on top of the regular homeowners dues,” she said. “I was shocked that the owners who attended that meeting voted for it.”

Blau said the last assessment and the potential new one are part of a movement to push low-income renters out of apartment complexes in the area.

She said Collins Crossing has taken other steps to push these renters out of the complex.

“The other thing that Collins Crossing has done is to get rid of Section 8,” Blau said. “Section 8 is a federal voucher program, and when Collins Crossing gets rid of Section 8, they are getting rid of diversity, refugees and disabled people.”

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Housing Choice Voucher Program, also known as Section 8, is designed to help low-income families, the elderly and the disabled afford private housing. Private housing complex owners are not required to accept the vouchers.

Concerned owners will have a chance to address questions about the assessment and more general community issues, according to the memorandum announcing the coming meeting. Owners will also be given an update about how the money from the last assessment was spent.