Folt installed as chancellor on University Day

The installation ceremony of UNC's eleventh chancellor, Carol Folt, was held on University Day, October 12. The ceremony took place outside of South Building at 2 pm and a reception was held in Polk Place after the ceremony.

UNC leaders, alumni and students gathered in Polk Place Saturday to celebrate the anniversary of the University’s creation and the installation of its 11th chancellor, Carol Folt.

Folt, who has held the position for 104 days, said she has been inspired by what she has seen at UNC.

“I am overwhelmed by Carolina warmth and a Tar Heel welcome,” she said in a speech. “It is a precious gift to be here. I am deeply honored to be Carolina’s 11th chancellor.”

As Oct. 12 marked the day that the University of North Carolina was founded in 1793, Folt stressed the value of public education to the state and country.

“I believe in the capacity of a great public university,” she said. “Our future depends on keeping them strong.”

Folt said the University must stay accessible and use its research to solve the world’s problems, such as human rights, water and famine.

“The problems of the people are the problems of the University,” Folt said in a tribute to the late UNC system President Bill Friday.

Members of the UNC Board of Trustees and UNC Board of Governors, alumni and students attended the ceremony.

“It’s an honor to welcome our 11th chancellor, as she — yes, she — sets sail to take our public university to new heights,” said Robyn Hadley, chairwoman of the General Alumni Association Board of Directors in a speech at the ceremony.

Gov. Pat McCrory, who also spoke at the ceremony, said he immediately connected with Folt when she began her chancellorship and was impressed with her ability.

“Education will help lead our state into economic recovery,” McCrory said. “Your chancellor is already connecting this wonderful institution with commerce.”

Peter Hans, chairman of the UNC Board of Governors, said the board approved Folt with the hope for a new beginning at UNC.

“This is a demanding role, and North Carolinians are counting on her,” he said.