Patrick Mitchell Jones indicted Monday in football scandal

Patrick Mitchell Jones was indicted Monday morning on one count of athlete-agent inducement.

The indictment states Jones, a real estate agent in Cartersville, Ga., gave Constance Orr $725.00 to give to former UNC defensive end Robert Quinn around May 25, 2010.

UNC’s athletic website lists a Constance Orr on the softball team’s roster from 2009-13, but a UNC spokeswoman couldn’t confirm it was the same person that received money from Jones.

Jones is the third to be indicted on criminal charges stemming from the UNC football scandal.

Jennifer Wiley Thompson, a former UNC tutor, was the first to be indicted nearly two weeks ago on four counts of athlete agent inducement.

On Wednesday, sports agent Terry Watson was indicted on 13 counts of athlete-agent inducement related to money given to Marvin Austin, Greg Little and Quinn, and felony obstruction of justice.

Orange County District Attorney Jim Woodall said last week that the athlete-agent inducement charges are the first of their kind and aim to protect athletes and institutions from sports agents.

“The reason for the act is to try to deter agents and people who work for agents inducing athletes who have eligibility left from signing contracts because then they lose their eligibility,” Woodall said last week. “They’re in jeopardy and the institution that they play for is in jeopardy.”