Students shouldn’t be afraid to call for help

As we learn more details about David Shannon’s tragic death, many will be quick to point fingers of blame at hazing, underage drinking, Greek life, party culture, etc.

However, providing constructive tools and education to prevent future death from drinking-related accidents should be our community’s top priority, in light of this event, to ensure students are partying responsibly and know what to do in a crisis.

This is why the University and drinking communities (including Greek life) should make every UNC student aware of the North Carolina 911 Good Samaritan Law (Senate Bill 20) passed in April 2013, which states that individuals who seek medical help for an underage drinking incident will not be prosecuted for underage consumption or possession of alcohol.

This applies to both the victim and to whoever places the 911 call and stays with the victim until help arrives. This law also applies to overdoses of illegal drugs and possession in small amounts.

Today, 11 other states have similar laws, and others have pending legislation.

While I am not certain what policies were in place at the time of David’s death more than a year ago, who was with David at the scene of his death, or why 911 was not called, I am certain that embracing the protection this law provides will encourage students to never let fear of legal trouble stand between a lifesaving 911 medical emergency call and tragic death.

If it is not already, this law and other related policies should be mentioned at new student orientation, in every Greek community, in every campus residence hall and at every party to ensure UNC students can continue to party together safely and not be afraid to call for help when someone gets hurt.

Lauren Donoghue ’14
Environmental health sciences