CVS opens doors Sunday

The CVS on Franklin Street is set to open this upcoming Sunday. They are currently working on finishing touches, like stocking shelves and washing windows. William Woods makes everything on the shelves is straight and in place.

For students looking for another in-and-out shopping option, CVS Pharmacy plans to open the doors to its new Franklin Street location on Sunday.

The 14,000-square-foot CVS is located at 137 E. Franklin St. and will stay open 24 hours a day.

The store, which has been under construction for several months, will fill the space left open when the Bank of America closed up shop in September 2012.

The two-story store will include fresh salads, sandwiches and fruits, a five-door beer cooler, three express self-checkouts, an ATM and Redbox.

Groceries and snacks will be on the top floor, with medicine and the pharmacy on the bottom.

“When you walk into a CVS, what you normally see in the front of the store is everything that will be upstairs,” said store manager Brian Siegel. “And what you normally see in the back of the store will be everything on the bottom floor.”

UNC junior Allie Pinosky, said she is looking forward to the chance for a little price competition with the other Franklin Street chain pharmacy Walgreens.

“Hopefully it’ll bring down Walgreens’ prices,” Pinosky said. “Right now it’s really the only option.”

Siegel said he feels no pressure about having the rival store across the street.

“I don’t really think there will be too much competition,” Siegel said. “We have a mutual respect, but as far as the business goes I think we’re going to do a lot.”

Junior Almir Omerspahic sees the new store as a possible benefit for more than just the students.

“I think having a wider variety of things to choose from and having more choices as far as where to shop will definitely help the students and the Chapel Hill economy in the long run,” Omerspahic said.

Siegel said his store will stand out with its larger selection, friendly and helpful service and location on what he thinks is the busier side of the street.

“Getting you guys in and out fast when you’re in a hurry is key. We’re trying to have no more than three people in a line at a time,” Siegel said.

“If that means there’s eight people in here ringing the registers, then so be it.”