Jewelry store first to move into 300 East Main

Carrboro Mayor Elect Lydia Lavelle cuts the ribbon at the grand opening of Cameron’s with co-owners Wendy Smith and Bridget Pemberton-Smith. Cameron’s is the first business to move into 300 East Main.

After 32 years in Chapel Hill, Cameron’s celebrated its move to Carrboro just in time for holiday shopping with an official ribbon cutting on Monday night.

Cameron’s, a gift shop and jewelry store, is the first business to move into one of the spaces at 300 East Main, a development in downtown Carrboro that houses the town’s first hotel, a Hampton Inn & Suites.

The 18,100 square-foot development includes a 500-spot public parking deck. Store visitors can also park in short-term parking spaces right outside the shop’s entrance.

The store moved from its long-time spot in University Mall to come to the new development.

Cameron’s celebrated a soft opening on Oct. 15 and has been open since.

Wendy Smith and Bridget Pemberton-Smith, the two co-owners of Cameron’s, and Mayor-elect Lydia Lavelle cut the ribbon before opening the doors to the crowd outside.

Smith said she is thrilled with the new location and the new opportunities.

“We love the natural light and the high ceilings,” she said.

Robin Sheedy, a Chapel Hill resident whose daughter works at Cameron’s, said she loves how colorful and how beautifully decorated the store is. It’s a store that really fits in downtown, she said.

“It’s really appropriate for them to come to Carrboro,” Sheedy said.

She said she also thinks the walking traffic downtown will help Cameron’s, since there are always people walking their dogs or exploring in the area.

New shoppers are finding Cameron’s. Smith said she has already seen increased foot traffic from new and old customers since the store opened.

The residents of Carrboro are very supportive of the new business, Smith said. They’ve stopped by to congratulate the owners on opening and have brought by food and encouragement, she said.

“They have been so sweet,” Smith said.

Chapel Hill resident Jim Sheedy also attended the grand opening to support his daughter. He said he thinks the 300 East Main development will extend Carrboro’s downtown area.

“It seems like it might be able to extend this kind of Weaver Street community all the way around down this block,” he said.

“That would be great if it works that way.”