Joe Biden to visit Chapel Hill Friday

Vice President Joe Biden will be in Chapel Hill Friday afternoon to raise money for Sen. Kay Hagan, D-N.C.

A spokeswoman from the vice president’s office confirmed that Biden will be at an event for Hagan and the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee.

A representative from Hagan’s campaign office did not return calls for comment. Hagan is running for re-election in 2014.

She is being challenged by five Republicans so far — N.C. Speaker of the House Thom Tillis; Mark Harris, a Charlotte Baptist pastor; Greg Brannon, a gynecologist from Cary; Heather Grant; a Wilkesboro nurse; and Bill Flynn, a radio host based in Winston-Salem.

A recent Public Policy Polling poll found that Hagan is almost tied with competitors.

It’s not clear yet where or when the fundraising event will be, or if it will be open to the public.

Last week, Biden called Chapel Hill Mayor Mark Kleinschmidt to congratulate him for winning re-election.

Biden was scheduled to attend a fundraiser for Hagan in Durham last month, but it was postponed.
Matt Hughes, chairman of the Orange County Democratic Party, said he just found out about Biden’s visit.

The last time Biden was in Chapel Hill was in the summer of 2010. Then, Biden was at the Carolina Inn raising money for the Democratic National Committee, Hughes said.

“Welcome to Orange County,” Hughes said.