NC sees notable increase in foreign students

International students looking for a college to call home are increasingly turning to North Carolina.

The state ranks 17th in the country in international student enrollment, up 9.1 percent from last year, according to a new report.

The number of international students at colleges and universities across the country rose by about 7 percent this school year — a record high.

The Open Doors Report on International Educational Exchange found that in North Carolina, 28 percent of international students come from China, followed by 15.9 percent in India. South Korea, Saudi Arabia and Canada trail behind.

Jennifer Fernandez-Villa, director of international student and scholar services at UNC-Wilmington, said there has recently been a national trend in higher education to accept more international students.

In an increasingly globalized world, not everyone gets the opportunity to have an international experience, she said — bringing more foreign students not only benefits the student, but also the campus, by creating a more diverse experience for students at home.

Elizabeth Barnum, director of international student and scholar services at UNC-CH, said UNC-CH has only seen a slight percent increase in international students from 2011 to 2012 because there is a systemwide 18 percent cap on out-of-state students, making it more competitive for international students.

UNC-CH has the third most international students among universities in the state — following N.C. State University and Duke University. UNC-Charlotte and UNC-Greensboro are fourth and fifth, respectively.

In 2012, by far the most international students at UNC-CH were from China — 535. The second-largest pool of international students was 195 from Korea. India, Canada and the United Kingdom were the next largest.

Students from 103 countries enrolled in 2012.

Barnum said the majority of international students are drawn to the quality of research in UNC-CH’s graduate programs.

Fernandez-Villa said most of the students at bigger research universities in North Carolina come from China, India and South Korea because those colleges offer appealing science, technology, engineering and mathematics programs.

“The reason N.C. State has the largest number of international students (in the state) is absolutely because of our engineering college,” said Elizabeth James, director of the office of international services at N.C. State University.

NCSU is also trying to attract more undergraduate international students, she said. The university recently started an intensive English program for foreign students.

Smaller schools like UNC-W cater to a different type of student.

“Our biggest numbers are from the undergraduate business school partnerships we have, and those happen to be in Germany, France, the U.K. and Spain,” Fernandez-Villa said.

UNC-W has nearly doubled its international population in the past five years to about 300 students.

For international students like Turker Bulut, a sophomore from Turkey, being in North Carolina has been a good experience. Bulut is majoring in computer science and economics.

“I enjoy being in North Carolina,” Bulut said. “The South is great in terms of hospitality and there are so many opportunities at Chapel Hill that I am benefiting from.”