News, law honor media lawyer

Journalism and law joined forces Monday to fulfill the dream of the former chairman of the UNC Board of Trustees.

The president of ABC News and the chairman and CEO of Hearst Television Inc. spoke about the future of television news at the Hargrove Communications Law and Policy Colloquium, named in honor of former board chairman and nationally recognized media lawyer Wade Hargrove.

David Barrett, with Hearst Television Inc., said being a part of the journalism and law school’s inaugural event was an opportunity to fulfill the dream of a friend.

“This has been something that’s been on (Hargrove’s) mind for years,” Barrett said.

Barrett recalled many late night conversations when Hargrove would share his vision for UNC and the two schools he loved — the journalism and law schools.

“When Wade calls, we jump on planes. We’ll fly anywhere, and especially to this wonderful institution, Chapel Hill,” said Ben Sherwood, speaker and president of ABC News.

The event drew professors, broadcasters and students.

Barrett said the world of news has undergone vast changes in the past few years and journalists must continually adapt to new technologies and audience expectations.

While young people may be engaged less with traditional media, Barrett said they are migrating to new places. The challenge of the upcoming years is to remain relevant as these patterns change, he said.

“We’ve got to go there for them,” Barrett said.

Sherwood said more and more people are consuming video journalism, which is increasingly being spread across new technology.

New devices such as phones and iPads require their own content, not just news pulled off the television, he said.

But though the technologies and mediums continue to change, the desire for the essence of journalism — story telling — is never going to go away, Sherwood said.

“There will always be a need for story telling. It doesn’t matter what device it’s on,” he said.

Barrett said people care about what happens in their towns and want journalists to tell the stories.

“The gift that storytellers have is very important to the people we interact with,” Barrett said.

Barrett said today there are so many more screens on which to tell these stories people want to hear.

Susan King, dean of UNC’s School of Journalism and Mass Communication, said UNC is a great place to explore the future of television news.

King said UNC has always had a large footprint on the world of television.

“If I could do it all over again, I wish I could start right here, right now,” Sherwood said.

Hargrove said there is always more to do.

“This institution is a 200-plus year institution and our work is never done here,” Hargrove said.

“It’s always challenging to continue to be the best in a highly competitive environment.”