With basketball season now under way, the crowd will be able to cheer like it’s 2009 with some new additions to the student section. These new signs known as fatheads are a welcome addition to one of the country’s best student sections and fan bases.

Fatheads are large cutouts depicting all the players on the UNC basketball team, as well as one of coach Roy Williams. Prior to this year, the Smith Center did not allow any signage like these. However, these cutouts bring a new aspect to a student section that hasn’t seen much change in recent years.

The fatheads were initially designated to appear only during Late Night With Roy, but fan feedback was so positive that the Carolina Athletic Association decided with the basketball office and Smith Center operations that students should be allowed to use these in the risers during regular season games. The decision, while unplanned, has and will continue to pay off.

Interactive aspects like fatheads improve the whole UNC fan experience in the stadium.

Now, more students will want to be in the risers because there’s the possibility of wielding the fathead and getting on television. Even though it might occasionally block some peoples’ views in the risers, rationed use of the signs will prevent it from being an issue.

The CAA should even look into adding fatheads of former UNC basketball greats in order to push an element of nostalgia on the older generation of Tar Heels that attend basketball games.

Overall, the addition of these signs in the student section will help increase student involvement with the team as well as improve the atmosphere.

A better game day experience that involves students and fans will prove to help the ambiance at the Smith Center.