UNC names Howard Kallem Title IX coordinator

After a months-long search, today UNC announced its new Title IX Compliance Coordinator.

In an email to the student body, vice chancellor for human resources Brenda Malone said attorney Howard Kallem was the “perfect person” to lead UNC’s Title IX Office because of his experience.

Kallem previously served as the chief regional attorney for the Office for Civil Rights in the U.S. Department of Education. He also worked at the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission for 14 years.

Former Chancellor Holden Thorp created the Title IX coordinator position in April, which Christi Hurt, director of the Carolina Women’s Center, held during the search for a permanent hire.

The University also announced that Chancellor Carol Folt will hire two more positions within the Title IX office: an additional Title IX investigator and a position that will promote student engagement and programming.

This would mark the fourth and fifth position that UNC has created this year to target sexual violence on campus.

The University faces three federal investigations into its handling of sexual assault.

As Title IX coordinator, Kallem will coordinate UNC’s compliance with federal guidelines and will oversee campus training, education and outreach on Title IX issues, according to Malone’s email.

Kallem was one of two candidates who were considered at public forums in September.