Blake Anderson to become head coach at Arkansas State

UPDATE: UNC has released a statement from coach Larry Fedora.

North Carolina offensive coordinator Blake Anderson will be the next head coach at Arkansas State, according to a tweet from Arkansas State Athletic Director Terry Mohajir.

Anderson has been on the UNC staff for two years, coming with coach Larry Fedora from Southern Miss. He coached quarterbacks in addition to running UNC’s spread offense.

Arkansas State (7-5, 5-2 Sun Belt) had an opening after coach Bryan Harsin announced last week he would leave to coach at Boise State.

Anderson later confirmed the news with his own tweet.

This is Anderson’s first head coaching job in a coaching career that began at Eastern New Mexico in 1992. Under Anderson, UNC finished eighth in country last season in scoring with 40.6 points per game. UNC has averaged 32.2 points per game this season.

It is not yet certain who will replace Anderson or if Anderson will continue to coach with UNC through the Belk Bowl on Dec. 28.

“Blake is an outstanding football coach, and I’m thrilled he has the chance to be the head coach at Arkansas State,” coach Larry Fedora said in a statement. “It’s been a goal of his for a long time to be a Division I head coach, and he deserves this opportunity.”