Degree programs prioritized in face of system cuts

Some degree programs across the system are on the chopping block after hits to the system’s budget.

System schools must decide how to absorb the cuts from the state, which totaled $65 million this year.

To do so, campus administrators are evaluating a fresh round of possible program cuts and consolidations.

Appalachian State University recently released a prioritization report Consolidated Rankings lowest BAC v2 11.1.13.pdf based on criteria including majors’ enrollment and degrees awarded. The report ranked women’s studies second to last, ahead of Appalachian studies.

“All the interdisciplinary programs are the least core, which in my view is rather silly because across the world and this country, interdisciplinary programs are quite big,” said Maggie McFadden, interim director of women’s studies at ASU.

The women’s studies program at ASU is the oldest in the state, and offers three different B.A. degrees, she said.

The prioritization report was submitted to ASU’s chancellor, who must make the final decision on halting programs.

Women’s studies has been assured continuation, but McFadden said she is unsure what form it will take.

Western Carolina University nearly cut its entire Spanish language program this year after a task force deemed the program low-productivity.

The number of students enrolled in Spanish classes had been low for years, said Mark Couture, a Spanish professor at WCU.

“The attraction of the major was sold as an ancillary major — Spanish doesn’t have to be the primary major,” he said.

Couture said as more people of Hispanic origin come to North Carolina, it doesn’t make sense for universities to move in the opposite direction.

Even if a program is cut, students in the major would be able to complete their degree, said Joni Worthington, spokeswoman for the UNC system.

“If … there was either a decision to eliminate an academic degree program or consolidate it into another (department), there’s a requirement that the campuses develop a teach-out plan,” she said.

Elizabeth City State University sparked controversy in October when administrators listed history as one of the programs designated as low-productivity.

McFadden said ASU’s prioritization results marginalized interdisciplinary majors. Global studies and several education degrees were listed as low priorities.

“The short-sighted prioritization of administrators at this university is hard to understand.”

Staff Writer Olivia Lanier contributed reporting.