Faculty executives optimistic for future of student-athletes' academics

UNC’s reputation has taken its share of hits lately, but Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost Jim Dean remains optimistic about the future of student athletes’ academics.

In a meeting with the Faculty Executive Committee Monday, Dean filled in the faculty on the steps UNC is taking as it continues to address claims by former athletic learning specialist Mary Willingham that the University accepted dozens of student-athletes between 2004 and 2012 who read below a college level — a statistic UNC has disputed.

One of those steps, Dean said, would be releasing information on how UNC handles admitting student-athletes.

“It’s going to be as open as we can be,” Dean said. “Other schools are going to say, ‘Why didn’t we do this?’”

In addition to increasing transparency, Dean said the administration will look at a number of issues influencing athletes’ academic achievement, beginning with recruiting. The Student-Athlete Academic Initiative Working Group is currently examining each process related to athletics.

“We’ve identified 22 processes,” he said. “Recruiting is process 1.0.”

Dean lauded the progress UNC made last year changing its admissions process — including a three-tiered system based on expected student GPAs — and said he expects the new structure to result in fewer unprepared students being accepted. He expects the admissions department to err on the side of caution, which could result in some qualified students being rejected.

“We’ve really profoundly changed the admissions system for student athletes,” he said, adding it should lead to higher standards. “My guess is, in the future, we’ll probably be more likely to not admit students we should admit.”

Physics professor Louise Dolan raised questions about the minimum academic requirements UNC uses when evaluating high school athletes. Committee Chairwoman Jan Boxill said the University uses a scale in which higher test scores can offset lower grades and vice versa.

Dean said UNC’s standards for athletes it can recruit are higher than the NCAA’s baseline requirements.

He briefly addressed the possibility of studying athletes’ reading levels further. There are several issues to address, such as whether to include verbal tests given by the University with students’ SAT scores, Dean said.

Exercise and sports science professor Kevin Guskiewicz said there are statistical problems with comparing college acceptance tests with reading levels because they are based off of different populations. Dean said even explaining that problem to the public would be difficult.

Dean said he will travel to Stanford University next week and ask administrators there how they are able to maintain high academic standards and a winning athletic program.

Faculty members expressed hope that the University’s plans to move forward would be better received now that the media frenzy surrounding Willingham’s report has died down.

Dean urged the faculty to have hope that UNC will recover from its recent setbacks, quoting the late Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

“Even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream.”