Electronic cigarettes, known as e-cigarettes, have rampantly increased in popularity. Smokeless and scentless, e-cigarettes offer an alternative to smokers, particularly those overcoming nicotine addiction.

E-cigarettes are not currently mentioned explicitly in the campuswide no smoking policy that prevents smoking within any University building or within 100 feet of any building on campus, however many treat e-cigarettes as if they are included. This policy needs to be amended to make clear and reflect the differences between cigarettes and e-cigarettes. If electronic cigarettes are to continue to be banned in University buildings, campus officials should relax the ban on usage within 100 feet of any campus building.

The bottom line is that the jury is still out on the safety of these. Therefore, it would be foolish to completely allow e-cigarettes on campus. But by replacing the smoke of the cigarette with water vapor, there seems to be a difference that inherently separates the two, and they should be treated differently.

E-cigarette users benefit from the lack of the notorious smell typically associated with cigarette usage. Students, faculty, staff and visitors to campus might not be as bothered by the use of electronic cigarettes. In all likelihood, e-cigarette smoking on campus would go largely unnoticed.

Manufacturers market these devices as tools to help end dependence on nicotine. Though this claim is controversial, making campus a safe space for individuals pursuing this route would be a testament to UNC’s dedication to “a healthy work and learning environment.”

The fact is many people already do not adhere to this 100-foot ban. Perhaps a different stance on e-cigarettes would allow the smoke polluting the University’s walkways to be replaced with water vapor.