UNC hires Seth Littrell as offensive coordinator

The UNC football team has hired Indiana’s Seth Littrell as its new offensive coordinator, the University announced Friday.

He will replace Blake Anderson, who left to become a head coach at Arkansas State and will be joined by former UNC coaches Walt Bell and Luke Paschall.

Littrell has been Indiana’s offensive coordinator and fullback and tight ends coach since the 2012 season.

A running back, Littrell played with Oklahoma from 1997 to 2000, and began his coaching career in 2002 with Kansas as a graduate assistant. He was a running backs coach with Texas Tech for three years before moving on to Arizona in 2009 and coaching current New England Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski.

Littrell is known for an Air Raid offense, which he played under in Mike Leach’s 1999 Oklahoma offense. The pass-heavy Air Raid system is built around a shotgun formation with one running back and four wide receivers, similar to Anderson’s spread offense.

Under Littrell, Indiana ranked No. 9 in the country in total offense, with 508.5 yards per game. The Hooisers were 16th in country in scoring, with 38.4 points per game.