Freshman tennis player Ronnie Schneider dominant

Ronnie Schneider had just given his best Tiger Woods fist pump impression.

“Come on,” the North Carolina men’s tennis freshman screamed after smashing home a forehand past his Texas Christian opponent.

A few volleys later, Schneider brought out the first pump again, as he snuck another laser past him. Such was the story of Schneider’s undefeated Sunday, when he won both his singles matches, and teamed with fellow freshman Jack Murray in doubles. The Tar Heels defeated TCU 4-3 and North Carolina Central 7-0. Coach Sam Paul was not surprised by the freshman’s dominant performance.

“He’s a workhorse,” Paul said. “We knew that when we recruited him … it affects the entire team. We love it. We can’t get enough.”

Schneider said his enthusiasm is one of the most powerful weapons he has, and it’s something he has used to earn himself a No. 17 singles ranking.

“I’m not the biggest guy, I’m not the strongest guy, I’m not the fastest guy, obviously,” he said. “But I think the intensity that I bring to the court is something that I always feel like I can do better than my opponent, and I feel if I can bring that all the time — bring the constant energy — I give myself a chance.”

Murray, who grew up in the Midwest competing against Schneider, said the enthusiasm is nothing new.

“My parents actually call him the Energizer Bunny because, when he was little, he was kind of small, and he always would go forever,” Murray said. “When you stepped on the court with Ronnie, you know you’re out there to the death.”

But earlier this season, Schneider realized his enthusiasm and excitement for the sport could get him in trouble. He said he attributes his loss at Duke to cheering on other teammates too much, instead of focusing on his own performance.

“My job is to win,” Schneider said. “At the end of the day, that’s what I need to do.”