Hillsborough offers re-enactment of the Revolutionary War

Revolutionary War reenactment as part of Twelfth Annual Revolutionary War Living History Day in Hillsborough Saturday 2-22-14. 

Reenactment of His Majesty's 64th regiment of foot during the year of 1781. 

Right-  Mark Dappert is from Charlotte, reenacting a Sgt., been reenacting for 25 years. Here he is cooking "spotted dog," salt pork and cabbage.

Left- David Snyder is from Efland, reenacting a Captain of Infantry, been reenacting since 1976 and started because of the bicentennial. He has an interest in American history and wanted to learn more about the British side of the story.
Revolutionary War reenactment as part of Twelfth Annual Revolutionary War Living History Day in Hillsborough Saturday 2-22-14. Reenactment of His Majesty's 64th regiment of foot during the year of 1781. Right- Mark Dappert is from Charlotte, reenacting a Sgt., been reenacting for 25 years. Here he is cooking "spotted dog," salt pork and cabbage. Left- David Snyder is from Efland, reenacting a Captain of Infantry, been reenacting since 1976 and started because of the bicentennial. He has an interest in American history and wanted to learn more about the British side of the story.

As the smoke cleared at Hillsborough’s Revolutionary War Living History Day, the red coats were not greeted by hordes of angry patriots, but visitors looking to peer into life during the war.

The town of Hillsborough offered the public an opportunity to experience firsthand the history within the town Saturday.

The event offered war-themed guided walking tours, craft activities and re-enacted military practices. The entire event commemorated British General Lord Charles Cornwallis’ occupation of Hillsborough with his 1,900-man army on Feb. 20, 1781.

Bill Nichols, a Hillsborough resident, said events like this offer an exciting way to understand the history of America.

“I was simply out for a walk when I saw the demonstrations,” he said. “It is always fun to learn from things like this.”

Nichols said the re-enactment is a unique way to engage a community with the town’s history.

“I think people should be aware of the history here,” he said.

“It’s a delight and interesting to understand what the British were doing in the Revolutionary War at this point.”

Karen Snyder, a resident of Efland, said she has been doing 18th century style re-enacting for more than 30 years.

Snyder and her husband were both dressed in authentic style clothing while demonstrating common practices of people during the era.

“It is important especially for children to understand where everyone came from,” she said.

“We didn’t just appear on Earth. We all have stories.”

Lynn Bull, a resident of Goldsboro, has been re-enacting since 1969 and said it has become a growing trend of historical learning.

“We try to use the tools of the time and we carry out the same thing with the uniforms, the drill and the equipment,” he said. “We try to be as accurate as possible.”

Bull said his passion is to share significant historical experiences with people. Through such events he said he is able to relive critical moments in history.

“It might just be a moment in time when you wake up to a campfire and for a few seconds it feels like you are almost there,” he said.

Brandie Fields, executive director of Orange County Historical Museum, said the re-enactment offers a way to learn local history that makes people feel they are going back in time.

“It is a great way to interact with people and ask questions to the closest thing to the actual historical people,” she said.

Fields said the town’s historic background is worth showcasing to the community.

“Hillsborough seems to have always been historical in every era of U.S. history,” she said.

“You can tell it is historic by walking down the street but you need to hear about it or experience it first hand to appreciate it.”