Triangle Transit gets approval for Durham-Orange Light Rail Transit Project

The Federal Transit Administration approved a request by Triangle Transit on Tuesday to begin development on a passenger train system known as the Durham-Orange Light Rail Transit Project.

Brad Schulz, a spokesman for Triangle Transit, said the approval was the first step of many toward the completion of the rail system. Phase one of the project is known as project development, in which engineering and environmental work will take place.

Schulz said the objective of this two-year period is to define the 17-mile route the train will take, as well as determine where stations will be. The product of this phase will be a Final Environmental Impact Statement and a Record of Decision that will solidify the findings of the development phase, Schulz said in an email.

Earl McKee, vice chair of the Orange County Board of Commissioners and a critic of the light rail, said this is only the beginning of development and not an approval to begin construction.

He said the project development phase would let the county gain a better understanding of the project and show whether a light rail system would be a worthwhile investment.

“It will give advocates, as well as critics, a chance to evaluate the studies,” McKee said.

McKee said his main concern about the project is its inability to serve transit-dependent residents. He said the bus system is a much better method of public transit for students and others that rely on it for transportation.

McKee said improvements to the bus system should be addressed before the light rail.

“I have never said, ‘No light rail ever,’” McKee said. “I have always said, ‘Light rail for the future, better buses for the present.’”

Schulz also said more bus services would be added before the fulfillment of the light rail project. In 2012, Orange County voters approved a transit tax to fund part of the light rail and expand bus services.

Damon Seils, a member of the Carrboro Board of Aldermen, said the FTA’s decision was good news.

Seils said the project would make it possible for people in the southern part of the county to commute to Durham. He also said the project would help regulate growth in Orange County.

“The growth is coming, and we want it to happen in a sustainable way,” Seils said.

Schulz said the project development phase is set to end February 2016, followed by another application to the FTA and then four or five years of construction or testing.

“If all goes well, trains could be running between Chapel Hill and Durham by 2025,” Schulz said.