UNC comedy festival features Lewis Black, 'SNL' cast members

This is Lewis Black's tenth year coming to UNC for an annual comedy show. Originally Katie Nelson, who worked on a humor magazine asked Lewis to do this. "It's been going strong ever since!" he said. Three UNC students, along with other comedians, opened for Lewis: senior Jack Morgan, sophomore Marcie Maier, and junior Memet Walker. "I am a big fan of Lewis Black and I really enjoy being involved in the community," Maier said. The show was held in the Student Union auditorium at 7 p.m. on Friday and Saturday.

He made fun of 21st century culture, the government, and Facebook.
This is Lewis Black's tenth year coming to UNC for an annual comedy show. Originally Katie Nelson, who worked on a humor magazine asked Lewis to do this. "It's been going strong ever since!" he said. Three UNC students, along with other comedians, opened for Lewis: senior Jack Morgan, sophomore Marcie Maier, and junior Memet Walker. "I am a big fan of Lewis Black and I really enjoy being involved in the community," Maier said. The show was held in the Student Union auditorium at 7 p.m. on Friday and Saturday. He made fun of 21st century culture, the government, and Facebook.

The Carolina Comedy Festival is a once in a year chance to fully experience the culmination of comedic personas springing from both UNC and beyond — even as far as the cast of “Saturday Night Live.”

The festival, hosted by the Carolina Union Activities Board, features both local and national comedians, and kicks off today with a Student Stand-up Show held at Historic PlayMakers Theatre. The winner will open for comedian Lewis Black on Saturday.

The four-day event includes appearances from people like UNC alumnus Dean Roughton, whose humor book “The Most Educated Idiot I Know” was recently published, to comedian Matt Stanton to “SNL” cast members. Black will wrap up the festival on Saturday at Memorial Hall.

The festival will feature the cast members from “SNL” on Friday. Aidy Bryant, Brooks Wheelan and Bobby Moynihan will hold a variety show, where they will all do a wide array of comedic sketches, improv and stand-up. Called “Friday Night Live,” the show is set to premiere for free at the Great Hall, and a short introductory seminar will be held before the show.

Sophomore Merrick Osborne, the CUAB comedy committee chairman, was primarily involved with organizing the event. He said that comedy is an important, engaging form of entertainment that has value at UNC.

“It is actually a work of art to make someone else laugh,” he said.

“It’s an amazing profession that people kind of take for granted. I’d like to show them kind of what goes on behind the scenes.”

The Student Stand-up Show will present independent student comedians as well as those from various comedic groups on campus. Junior Kenan Bateman, co-founder of UNC’s comedy troupe False Profits, will also be performing a three-minute stand-up set at the show. He said stand-up is an energizing, but personal, form of comedy.

“For three to five minutes, you’re the only person on stage with hundreds of people watching you. For that brief moment in time, you are the focus, you have the microphone, you get the chance to be loud,” Bateman said.

“It’s very personal. The more personal you can be with stand-up, the better you are generally because you feel more honest with an audience.”

Bateman said CUAB’s ability to bring artists like Lewis Black to the UNC community each year is a huge benefit to the comedy scene on campus.

“To have a very A-list stand-up comic be an alum and be loyal to this festival every year and come back to do a show with us is invaluable,” he said.

Osborne said the festival is a great tool to both put people in better moods and give comedians the recognition they deserve.

“You’re going to be in an environment where you’ll be happy because members of ‘SNL’ are coming, Lewis Black, people who are known for their satire, for challenging your perspective,” he said.

For CUAB president Carly Mathews, the festival serves as a good way to offer students a wonderful source of entertainment at an affordable price.

“When will you be able to see ‘Saturday Night Live,’ or see Lewis Black live, without paying a ton of money?” she said.

“We’re trying to give them an opportunity that they can’t get outside of the University — we’re trying to enrich their experience on campus.”