UNC to roll out a studio art minor in the fall

With the new studio art minor set to roll out next fall, the art department is hoping it can get right-brained students to interact with their creativity.

The minor will consist of five courses of different levels in the art department — up to three 100-level courses, one 200-level course and up to two classes 300-level and above.

James Hirschfield, art department chairman, said the department is not receiving any additional money from the university for the creation of the minor.

But Hirschfield said the department will not need to hire any faculty associated with the new minor because the classes required for it are already being offered individually at the university.

Another proposed arts minor, dance, which was slated to be offered in fall 2013 or 2014, was stalled due to a lack of money hire faculty to teach the courses that would have been required for it.

Hirschfield said he feels the studio art minor will be beneficial to those who want to focus on art without having to major in it.

“It’s meant to make it possible for students interested in art and other things to be able to focus on art,” he said.

Hirschfield said for the creation of a new minor the department had to make a request to the College of Arts and Sciences. The request then went to administrative boards for approval.

Sophomore Morgan Lee said she knows students who previously majored in studio art but changed majors after deciding they didn’t want to study it alone.

“I think for them, a studio art minor would probably be good,” she said.

Freshman Ankita Jain said she would not pursue the studio art minor because she said she’s not artistic — but said she still thinks it is a good idea.

“It’s not for me personally, but I think it’s good for the curriculum, ” she said.

Freshman Lauren Groffsky said she thinks the minor would allow less artistic students to expand their horizons.

“I think it would be fun to try … especially for kids who are interested in art but are science majors. I think it would be good for them,” she said.

Hirschfield said the minor has long been a topic of discussion but became a serious proposal in only the last year.

Terry Rhodes, senior associate dean for fine arts and humanities, said in a letter to Associate Dean of Undergraduate Curricula Erika Lindemann that she supported the minor.

She said she thinks it will not draw students away from the studio art major.

“I have spoken at length with the chair about the proposal, and he assures me that, after careful review and consultation with the faculty, the new minor would not have the unintended consequence of reducing the number of students who complete the studio art major,” she said in her letter.

Hirschfield said there have been many students over the years who double-majored in biology and art but dropped the art major because it was not something they wanted to focus on.

He said the studio art minor should make it easier for someone to focus on art without having to major in it.

Hirschfield said the department is trying to create more opportunities for students, and he thinks the minor is a good way to accomplish that goal.

“We think this is going to be a good thing for students. If it helps students and isn’t detrimental to the program, I think it’s a win-win.”