UNC would benefit from more Greek professorships

With the creation of the Delta Kappa Epsilon Distinguished Professorship in 2000, DKE set a precedent for Greek organizations not only at UNC, but also across the country.

As three sororities strive to emulate this professorship, more organizations should work to spread the trend across the University by producing as much funds as feasibly possible to sponsor a professor of their own.

Greek organizations are in a unique position to gain support in funding from their alumni that many other organizations could never dream of having. The connection these alumni feel towards their fraternity or sorority could motivate them to donate in ways that an academic department or University fundraiser could not. Therefore, through the efforts of these Greek organizations, certain positions could be created that would never exist if only the University worked to do so.

Additionally, by having a hand in these professorships, fraternities and sororities would help to bridge the gap between their largely social organizations and the academic institution they surround.

By taking a vested interest in the academic capability of this institution, Greek organizations could also help proactively stem any of the trite and cliche criticism often levied against them. It would be hard to paint a fraternity as academically disingenuous or subpar if it is literally invested in the academic quality of the institution.

Finally, fraternities and sororities from the Interfraternity Council and Panhellenic Council should not be alone in the creation of these professorships.Organizations hailing from the Greek Alliance Council and National Pan-Hellenic Council should also do their best to create a professorship of their own.

This would truly help to broaden and enhance the field of professors found at this University.